Help please!

Hi, after using the forum for several years with no problem uploading photos I seem to be having difficulties! I've been trying daily for the past few days thinking it's a technical hitch- when I press the browse button in the insert media box the green line taking approx 1-2 mins to upload (usually takes seconds) then a red "error has occured" message appearing,and I am not able to insert the file. I have not made any changes to my usual way of uploading etc. I have run full system computer scan and everything else I can think of. Hope someone can give me some suggestions 

A frustrated Jayne

• Sorry I can't be of any help Jayne but you’ve just described how uploading photos has always been for me (which is sadly the main reason why I post so few photos nowadays). Even posting three photos on the 'three per month' thread can take me around twenty minutes to get them to upload. I've made my peace with it though as I'm certain that it's a failing of the Community site; I have no issues at all when uploading to Flickr so I know that it’s nothing to do with my internet connection etc. I’ve always thought it such a shame that it’s so difficult to post photos here, I’m sure we would have a greatly increased number of threads if only it was easy to get stuff to upload.

• Thanks Paul, it's strange as I've always been able to upload quickly.I'll be very sad if I'm not able to post photos as I enjoy sharing my sightings here,I'm fairly certain that other forum members enjoy my posts as much as I enjoy theirs

Jayne

• I've just been posting photos and haven't noticed any change.

Presumably you haven't changed the size of the photos - I usually restrict mine to no bigger than 1.5 Mb.

Have you tried changing the browser you use to see if that makes any difference?

Is your broadband working OK? You could try doing a Speedtest

Have you tried the other downloading option to see if that works? Get the URL of one of your photos on Flickr. From the drop down menu on the  Insert Media change it to YouTubeWeb URL option and paste the link into the box.

Clear the cache on your browser.

Just throwing out ideas really

• I often feel a wee bit guilty about enjoying everyone’s photos and then posting so few myself; I just can’t always find the time (or the will) to spend upwards of an hour trying to load seven or eight photos. It’s also very frustrating when trying time and time again to get a shot to load so perhaps I’m a bit selfish as I don’t want to put myself through the stress of it. I do really enjoy reading the posts here and have lots of great friends but I do often wonder how everyone can post so many shots without their blood pressure going off the charts. A few years back when I had my pond building thread going it often took me three to four hours to post an update.!! As I said, it’s such a shame that it’s so difficult; I’m out every week with the camera and I would love to share my days out but it just take far too long to put a post together. :-(  

• Paul A said:
    I just can’t always find the time (or the will) to spend upwards of an hour trying to load seven or eight photos. It’s also very frustrating when trying time and time again to get a shot to load so perhaps I’m a bit selfish as I don’t want to put myself through the stress of it.

It really shouldn't take all that time, Paul. I haven't got superfast broadband (18Mb/s download and 1.0 Mb/s upload) and it doesn't take me all that long to upload a photo. The photo below which is 1.45Mb took 11sec to upload from pressing the "Open" tab to the picture appearing in the frame of the "Insert Media" window 

Unless you've got exceptionally slow broadband I would have thought there must be something wrong with the set up although I've no idea what.

I do agree that the whole process of uploading photos is pretty clumsy though.

• Thanks for the help Tony but I’ve tried everything; smaller files, clearing cache, different browsers etc. I’m running at around the same speed as you but when I try to upload a photo the status bar just freezes or gets to the end and then nothing happens. I also get the same error message as Jayne has been seeing. Other times it’ll load a series of photos 1st time without any issues; it’s a mystery.

Jayne: I do hope you get it sorted out as it would be a real loss to us if you were to struggle to upload your wonderful photos. You’re also our resident rare species reporter, you certainly get your share of them down where you are  :-)