This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Technical issues: Are any fundamental things still not working?

This thread is for things on the community that don't work. This does not include formatting, so if there are issues with the lay out, colours or fonts please see our 'Requests for new features' thread.   

• Why do I have to sign in afresh every week (day varies), even though I drop in every day. It happened again today. It's making me feel unloved!

• aquilareen said:

Why do I have to sign in afresh every week (day varies), even though I drop in every day. It happened again today. It's making me feel unloved!

The site should keep you logged in - for a time - unless, as Robbo says, you've told your browser to not do so.  Even with sites that keep you logged in, it's normal to require re-authentication occasionally (weekly, monthly etc).  In this case, it's probable that the ongoing tweaks being made by the techie guys involve a bounce of the servers and that is resetting the situation.  Please don't feel unloved :-)
  • Unknown said:

Notifications: mentioned several times before especially as they have already been further upgraded to a worse state than the upgrade.

If notifications says 8 notifications, click on it and look at one and they all now disappear. So now you don't know what the other seven were. At least post upgrade they all hung around for a while even though they all rather stupidly had the highlighting removed from them. At worst, get rid of that crassly patronising message box.

Clicking on a thread from notifications should take you to either the last post or the last page of a thread.

The names of posters quoted in Notifications should be the names of the last people to post to that thread.

You may consider that these may be new features and might want to move them to that area. Personally I think that anything that doesn't work ina sensible and logical manner is a fault that needs fixing rather than a feature request.

Bob

PS we are still waiting for a posting one eactly how the Notification system is supposed to work

I missed this before-  IT'S REALLY HARD TO TRACK DOWN Posts atm-

I agree 100% with what BRN  has written

S

• I've not been on for 3 months because I wasn't able to log in.  Seems that there's been the likes of a downgrade and along the way my user name was changed to Northernlass_3 !?  Except when I actually got in it wasn't!

Got to say that navigating round this site is like trying to find your way through a maze.  NOT user friendly at all and in my opinion even worse than it was when I was last here.

• I don't like change either, Bob, whether for its own or for necessity's sake, although the latter is easier to come to terms with.

I considered that "meeting" you was a fortunate side-effect of the RSPB's misbegotten system upgrade, and now you're gone :'(

• Posting pictures is still one of my bugbears.  If I'm posting screen captures it doesn't take very long, though it almost always takes more than one attempt.  Photos I've taken are a different story - even if I crop them it takes a long time for each one to post, and most of the time I get an error message at the end of uploading.  The big moan, though, is when I try to upload the same photo again and the system then tells me that the photo's too big!  I have recently posted my photos compressed which means they post much faster but I'm not happy to continue doing this as it means you can't bring the detail of the photo in closer.  It would be so wonderful if this could be sorted out, please.

• I just tried to post a pic as a test - it uploaded in a couple of secs, but posting....  I closed the browser window after 10 mins.  Which is a bit odd, I've not been having any problems posting pics.  If this posts, I'll try again

• OK, so that posted fine.  Let's try this pic - it's over 3MB (the limit's still 4 I think)

• OK, no problem that time - 2 secs to upload, 2 secs to post.  I'll put the previous failure down to some strange anomaly (the link to Rich Formatting did fail the first time I clicked on it, so glitch on the page methinks)

It seems a bit odd for upload behaviour to be linked to account though - I'm wondering if there's a load balancer problem somewhere, one server works fine, one's a bit dodgy....

• Hi there I notice when I do a search, it comes up with a blank page, I then noticed if you scroll down the results are there but it's at least a page screen down so is there any way your techies can remove the blank spaces.