Windows 10 upgrading problems

Just a warning to anyone going to upgrade their version of windows 10

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-45784482

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Diane in Indiana:

It's been all over YouTube as well. I checked and I'm still on release 1709 so OK for the moment. I've got all my photos backed up to the Cloud so hopefully should be alright if things go pear shaped when MS automatically impose the upgrade.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• In reply to TeeJay:

I saw the news item yesterday, not good from a major software company....

I'm seeing more and more issues with bad software writing, not just from MS, but from a lot of companies these days. For those smart phone owners, how often do you see in the write-ups for the apps "Bug Fixes" or "to resolve an issue....." ?

If autocorrect is anything to go by.....

Have we overstepped the mark I wonder today and got a little too clever for ourselves!

Mike

Flickr Peak Rambler

• In reply to Mike B:

I've had so many issues with Win.10  including a total crash of the computer three months ago due to a M/soft major glitch of the 1803 update that affected some computers that I have given up throwing my hands in the air or the computer out of the window  !    I think technology is now running before it can walk with the never ending new apps/software and feel they are using us as beta testers to try it all out for them  :(      These days I find it better to use manual update and wait a few days before installing any upgrades so any serious issues are flagged up and ironed out before they hit the motherboard   LOL     

I used to be able to keep up with technology 5 years ago but these days I'm struggling to keep the system running without the odd glitch happening.     Even my AVG anti-virus (paid edition) had a conflict with Win.10 mail when emails were stuck in outbox and incoming were not received without me turning off the whole anti-virus software - which was totally against the whole point of security !    I checked via a help-line and seems the default settings of the program (AVG) had to be changed - how are we mere mortals to know unless we have a degree in "Nerd"  programming !      Bottom line,  can't live without computers these days ............. and can't live with 'em     !!

Regards, Hazel 

"Each kindness shown to birds or men is sure to flutter back again" 

• In reply to HAZY:

Oh no, wish i'd come here first! The latest update yesterday (KB 4462919) wouldn't load properly & said there was a problem with the download . It slowed my computer to a halt. I had this 2 months ago. I checked on line & the Window 10 page here https://support.microsoft.com/fr-fr/help/4462919/windows-10-update-kb4462919 said there were no known issues! So I manually downloaded it & installed it! However I may be lucky as all my folders seem to be there! This is really a pain! Who do you trust, not Windows evidently!

EDIT Just realised this is not the same thing as Alan highlighted, but beware this update anyway!

Best wishes

Hazel in the Gironde estuary, France

• In reply to HAZY:

HAZY said:
    These days I find it better to use manual update and wait a few days before installing any upgrades so any serious issues are flagged up and ironed out before they hit the motherboard   LOL     

How do you do that Hazy, I've looked at the settings but can't work it out!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

Hazel C said:
    How do you do that Hazy, I've looked at the settings but can't work it out!

Most likely you will  find that Win.10 updates are mandatory although you can remove any that are installed.    Problem with the early 1803 was that once updated I couldn't even get into my desktop  as it caused complete meltdown - I had to reload the entire system again  from scratch  with HP's help         

However, I recently tried this .............        (but bear in mind stopping updates could also trigger problems - especially necessary patches)   

1.   Press the Windows logo key + R at the same time

2.   Type services.msc - press Enter.     

3.   Scroll down to Windows Update -   double-click

4.   In Startup type, select Disabled. Click apply +  OK  to save the settings

I do keep an eye on the latest updates for Windows in case there are critical ones to install but I give it a few days before switching things back to install them.  

Computer life was never made easy  LOL  

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

What I used to do on the old XP was do them one at a time. They told me one was available & then I installed it. There doesn't seem to be this option with Windows 10. Either they do it without asking or they don't tell you it's there!!

Best wishes

• In reply to Noisette:

That's right Hazel,  I think with Win.10  they enforce these updates that's why I'm trying a different method - I'll let you know if my computer crashes  LOL

Regards, Hazel 

• In reply to HAZY:

Thank's for the info, at the moment I am using my old & trusted Windows 7 desktop

J