Blue tits nest

A lovely pair of blue tits have nested in our bird house and had babies. All has been great but since they’ve been born a hole has been developing in the bird house. Like something is breaking in. It’s now so big it is clear something is trying to get the babies. I know nature takes its course but I’m wondering is there anything I can do to protect them, and how can I fix the massive hole. Also not sure what is trying to get in. Seemed to be clawed...

• Hi Aaj, looks like the culptit could be a Woodpecker. Magpies and other prey will take young but I don't know who would make a hole like that. Certainly whoever it is means business and will get to the young ones. You are not allowed to disturb a nest from when it has started to be build, BUT I don't know if under the circumstances would you be allowed, if you could, to quickly attach somethings over that hole. Hopefully somone will be able to say yes or no or suggest something else.
  • I’ve put a bit of cardboard over and tapped it on. The mum is still going in and out so doesn’t seem bothered. The little ones were in full view, I just wanted to cover it and give them a fighting chance. The hole was like a little scrape the other day and now this, it didn’t look pecked. So so strange. Just wanted to help as much as possible, I don’t think they are that old
  • That's good for now, hopefully whatever was at the box will keep away. Depending on the age of the wee ones, they may fledge soon so hopefully all will be well. Let us know what happens.
  • No Aaj, I would advise you to leave well alone now, you don not want to give the parents any ideas to abandon the nest, which they can do if there is interference. As yours are still feeding they are happy. Hopefully the duct tape will hold, it is pretty strong stuff and the wee ones will soon fledge. In the back end you can then get yourself sorted with a new box.