Blackbird behaviour

I've had a resident blackbird pair in my garden for the past two years. The female knows me and comes when I whistle... Recently, I was in the garden and she appeared but seemed to fear me and flew away. It's occurred on a few more occasions - so I began to wonder if it was the same bird. Prior to this I interacted with her as normal about a month ago. Is it possible that another female has moved in since? or is there any other explanations anyone can think of to account for her nervousness - I'd appreciate any thoughts on the issue.
  • Hi Nina, I too have resident Blackbirds that follow me around. It's a delight isn't it? Regarding your dilemma, it could be a different bird, but maybe it's a juvenile? They can easily be mistaken for females and vice versa. Could you get a photo?

• Hi Nina.  I would always be wary of thinking you are seeing the same bird every time, unless of course you have a particularly confiding bird like yours.  Last summer I had a female Blackbird follow me around whenever I went into the garden.  If I was hanging the washing out she would come and stand at my feet and then follow me back to the house whilst I went and got her some suet sprinkles!  She would even come into the house if I let her.  She was a delight.  I just saw her for the one season and after nesting time although I saw many Blackbirds, I've never had one so tame.

I do bird ringing and have ringed sixteen different Blackbirds in the garden although (except for the middle of winter) never see more than five or six at once, so obviously different ones come and go.

I also used to count just three or four Blue Tits in the garden at any one time and last January we ringed 27 different Blue Tits in the garden in just two or three hours!  I couldn't believe how many different ones were dropping in.  I think what I am trying to say is that it is not always possible to be sure that we are seeing the same birds.

• Hi there - thanks for both the replies.

Since I posted I've done some more research.

It was definitely the same bird because I don't get many birds in my urban environment - it's a very secluded walled in basement garden, and the same pair have been resident for over two years.

I've been photographing her over the time period, and her markings: white neck/ partial chest match the photos which proved it was the same bird.

She's now incubating eggs so she's a constant presence for the past few days, But she's keeping her distance unlike before when she'd appear on the kitchen d'step to demand food! and had no issue being near me.

I was wondering if she'd been spooked by another human elsewhere in the area - it's a mystery.

• If it is the same bird, I'd say it might simply be that her 'protective' instincts have now kicked in and you are after all a potential threat to those eggs!   I'm sure you'll be her best friend again when she needs you!

• Hi - maybe you're correct, but she's had six+ clutches previously, and didn't behave differently, so I'm not sure...  Although it's nice to have a relationship with garden wildlife, I'm primarily interested in what has occurred in order to change her behaviour, which will for now remain a mystery.