Best bird of Prey

Hi Guys, So I was watching a Buzzard resting in a tree yesterday and I thought I would as this question. What is your personal favourite Bird of Prey and why? They are all amazing in their own right but my favourite Bird of Prey has to be a Marsh Harrier. Looking forward to hearing all your answers. Happy Wildlife Watching Regards Jack
  • Hi Jack, if you don't already know ... my personal favourite is Kestrel!!

I have had the unique opportunity to observe them nesting in the chalk quarry where I live for the past ten years, with their nest hole & telegraph pole, where they eat their prey, opposite my double doors... the most wonderful photographic opportunity since I got my first decent cam four years ago!

They were scared off a couple of years ago & no nest in 2014/5 but have had spasmodic vists & hoping for better things this year!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• I love all birds of prey but my preference must go to the osprey due to sheer familiarity.  I started watching the webcams at Loch Garten and Dyfi in 2012 - with every new season I find myself getting a greater appreciation for their characters, their abilities and their sheer likability.  My favourite osprey of all is EJ, the female at Loch Garten - she is such a dominant bird and has so much strength, but she is also very determined and protective.  I really, really hope she makes it back safely this year (she will be 19 this season) and successfully breeds.

Here she is:

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Of course I will have to say Peregrine Falcon. This is a photo of me assisting the BTO ringing one of the five chicks from the nest on the rooftop at my place of work back in 2014.

This is Mum, keeping a watchful eye on proceedings.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• Fantastic, Monkeycheese!  They are a very special species as well.  Mum must really trust you.

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• I believe we had a new female last year and they didn't reproduce (as far as we were aware). However, a female arrived on November 19th 2014, which is very early, so we have high hopes for this season as they are acting as a pair.

Unicum arbustum haud alit duos erithacos

(One bush does not shelter two Robins)

Zenodotus (3rd Century B.C.)

• I'm keeping everything crossed for you and the birds.

• Tricky - I haven't seen them all yet (not even the UK species) so it might change. I'll go for Hobbies, watching them hunt and eat dragonflies on the wing is something special.

"Let loose the Kraken!"

• Hi Stu,

Hobbies are amazing Birds of Prey and what you describe sounds amazing hopefully one day I will witness something like that.

Keep up the good work

Regards

Jack