GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• Hi all.

Having read this thread from beginning to end I think its a great idea that the award should go to people that not only post quantity but quaility too. Its all well and good posting hundreds of posts to replies and starting your own threads , but in my humble opinion its what you post and how you come across to people that should be considered for that person to earn the award.

Just my two cents thrown into the mix.

Regards

Chappers (and The Wife.)

• I couldn't agree more Chappers and Mrs. Chappers. Excellent sentiments. Anyone can be top of the posters list without a lot of effort, but if most of this is rubbish it means nothing.

• Unknown said:

Hi all.

Having read this thread from beginning to end I think its a great idea that the award should go to people that not only post quantity but quality too. 

Chappers (and The Wife.)

So unless i can get on here everyday and post interesting and meaningful posts i wont be considered..?  :-(

My life's got so busy at the mo, i'm struggling to get on here every day just to read stuff, let alone post.

For the record i'd love a good egg award as i'm sure everybody would, but its the RSPB's site and their award and their criteria, and i'm happy for them to work it however they see fit.

• Looking back at some of the posts/threads from yesterday and today I have come to the conclusion that there is a bias for this forum to be weighted towards a personal social networking site rather than a wildlife forum - giving rise to the personal and sometimes hurtful exchanges between members.

At the risk of repeating myself, I think the root, or at least one of the roots is the good egg award. An award by its nature is competitive,it is "won",  but what is the competition? Is it photography - popularity - imparting knowledge - receiving information regarding relevant topics?

It is apparent that members use the forums in diverse ways and the RSPB should have a role in directing which way the forum should evolve and in my view it should be more weighted to wildlife issues including an open forum for  for those members who wish to arrange meets to visit reserves or localities instead of the personal or private messaging which goes on now.

Tea Room banter should be a side issue not the focus of the forum.

• Juno said:

Hi all.

Having read this thread from beginning to end I think its a great idea that the award should go to people that not only post quantity but quality too. 

Chappers (and The Wife.)

So unless i can get on here everyday and post interesting and meaningful posts i wont be considered..?  :-(

My life's got so busy at the mo, i'm struggling to get on here every day just to read stuff, let alone post.

For the record i'd love a good egg award as i'm sure everybody would, but its the RSPB's site and their award and their criteria, and i'm happy for them to work it however they see fit.

[/quote]

Hi Juno,

I'm so sorry. I ment no harm with my words, in fact I feel that you have slightly misunderstood what I was trying to say.

What I was trying to get across was, like you said, we can't get on here all the time. So what we input when we do get online is important to us. We wouldn't post it otherwise. Weather its a report or a comment to a thread :D

So quaility is important in stead of just say "Yeah nice photo" or something to that extent. I hope this kind of clears up my comment. I truely only want the best for all of us on here.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 20/05/2011 22:46 in reply to Chappers

I have to say that it is a persons enjoyment of the subject that shines through at the end of the day - not whether they post a lot on this Forum or otherwise.

The posts on here should remain the subject matter of the Forum itself and that is the subject of birds/wildlife simple as that and as far as i am concerned 5 years down the on-line I will still be talking birds on here as it is a passion of mine all of my life and that cannot be changed

I also notice how others loves birds in the same manner, and this alone should show that there is a 'large' circle of friends who will talk birds forever after no matter what happens rain or shine.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• Unknown said:

Hi all.

Chappers (and The Wife.)

[/quote]

Hi Juno,

I'm so sorry. I ment no harm with my words, in fact I feel that you have slightly misunderstood what I was trying to say.

What I was trying to get across was, like you said, we can't get on here all the time. So what we input when we do get online is important to us. We wouldn't post it otherwise. Weather its a report or a comment to a thread :D

So quaility is important in stead of just say "Yeah nice photo" or something to that extent. I hope this kind of clears up my comment. I truely only want the best for all of us on here.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)

[/quote]

Only just found this again... absolutely no problem mate, er Chappers.

• ROLLING EGG AWARD

er........... Sounds good-  didnt I suggest similar before we updated the forum?

:)

S

• ClaireM said:

............................. and in my view it should be more weighted to wildlife issues including an open forum for  for those members who wish to arrange meets to visit reserves or localities instead of the personal or private messaging which goes on now.

Hi- maybe we need a 'Go Birdwatching' type forum  to suggest good places like the old  ' where to watch wildlife' forum, where suggested venues etc could be discussed en masse.

Details for meeting each other can of course now be done by PM :)

S

• Hi all again,

I see this post is still doing the rounds so I had another little think and come to this conclusion.

I don't get to post on here alot, just like what Juno's post said just after I had written my first opinion. I know where Juno is coming from. Guess what I'm trying to say is, is that I do my reports, and reply to the odd post when I can. Does that validate me to be able to get a good egg award....Am I contradicting myself, probably, however. Interesting thought I feel.

Regards

Chappers (and the Wife.)