GOOD EGG AWARD UPDATE

Hello folks,

We have been thinking about making some changes to the good egg award. Under the current system, Good Eggs are only recognised once, but we'd like to create a new system to recognise those of you who consistently contribute really good stuff to the Forum.

One of the ideas we've been throwing around is that of a monthly rolling award. If anyone has any thoughts on this or other ideas regarding improvements to the good egg award we would welcome constructive comments.

Claire
(on behalf of all of the Moderators)

• Trochilus said:

As TeeJay points out, the way the system is currently, once you are awarded the good egg, you will keep the badge regardless how active a contributor you are afterwards, and every month a new good egg is added to the list. By now, we have a couple of dozen good eggs. The idea of the rolling good egg is to have the award passed on each month, like a trophy in a sports league, which is held by the season's winner for that season only. The award would go to the individual considered to have made an outstanding positive contribution to the forums during the previous month, and because they are not blending into the crowd, the good egg award would show up more on the forum pages and would, hopefully, have a greater prestige. This is only one of the ideas we have been toying with, and we want to have your input and views on this idea as well as any others you may have in order to revamp the good egg award in a way that works best.

Certainly makes sense to me.:0)

• Anonymous
    Anonymous 09/02/2011 20:44 in reply to Sheena

Hi MrsT/Trochilus

I think a system of points would be a good idea, depending on what you contribute as a member.  So this is to give an award to a member it is not just quantity of the posts - it is quality that counts too.   Quantity to show a persons keen love of their subject

Someone has mentioned the Gold, Silver and Bronze star award for each stage (gold - 6 ....Silver - 4 and Bronze - 2 points) of what the member contributes to the Forum.  I think this is a good idea to give people something to work towards on the Forum - like a set of goals. 

Then they get the full Good Egg award after going the through initial 3 star awards.

By awards, I mean someone who has been out birding on a regular will have lots to write about and photos to post on the RSPB Forum.  That same person supporting others who are new or (older) members.  This includes assisting in ID-ing species of birds etc... and joining in the general chit chat of the threads subject.

If you are a member who goes out to Reserves and do a lot of bird/wildlife Watching in general that shows that you are keen on your subject.  There are some members here who have not got the good Egg Award that deserve it as it stands now due to much of their time bird watching and giving their experiences here.  They are here for the love of the subject on this Forum and it shows in their postings.

I look forward to hearing what others thing as this thread progresses now.

I share my time between a few wildlife Forums and try to keep them all in balance with one another.  If I spend less time on here, it is because I am contributing to my other Forums.

Regards

Kathy and Dave

• If you're an active member of our Community, you could be in line for our 'Good Egg' award.

At the beginning of each month, an exclusive Good Egg pinbadge will be awarded to a person who's been a good, upstanding citizen. These beautiful badges are exclusive to the RSPB Community and are bound to become collector's items - only 100 have been made and you won't find them anywhere else!

Our team will be on the lookout for someone who has an air of general good-egginess. Here are a few of of the kind of things which we might look out for:

• Helping a newcomer to the community
    • Writing something that makes everyone smile
    • Answering others' questions
    • Contributing to groups or galleries

Hi Trochilus

According to Graham Bird the Good Egg Award was set up specifically to award an exclusive pinbadge  to good upstanding citizens and there were only 100 exclusive badges to award. The Good Egg emblem below the avatar was just a way for other members to recognise those members who had won it.

So far by my count only 17 exclusive pinbadges have been awarded. (I trust that amongst the awards are 2 months where pinbadges weren't sent). So that falls somewhat short of a couple of dozen Good Eggs.

I am aware that some Good Eggs no longer contribute, or contribute less, but others contribute just like they did when they won their award.

In my humble opinion this award shouldn't be 'diluted' at such an early stage. For most it was hard won and well earned, and some members won't wish to see it 'cheapened'. I think a rolling award would see it become less prestigious rather than more prestigious.

To award some sort of a 'rolling Good Egg award' every month would be more likely to reward prolific posters, as opposed to valuable contributions from good, upstanding citizens, and the Good Egg award was never set up for that purpose.

• Sounds good I think!!!  LOL  Im confuzzeled  But thats nothin new ..

Why not call it the Golden egg if its only gonna be given for one month only?

or an award for the best Photo for the month on the fourms not in the Gallery . I can never get in there anyway and thats why I post any photos in here instead ..Always gets folks talkin when they see a  nice pic of a bird or beastie .. Then at the end of the year  Take all the photos that have been awarded and  make a Calander that can be down loaded onto our puters for a small fee?

Just a thought!!

Cheers

AL

• next thing it will be easter eggs lol.

• Hi Woodpecker

MrsT mentioned the rolling egg as an example of the changes we have been looking at - as yet, no decisions have been made. The whole idea of this thread is to canvass members' opinions on should we change the egg and if so, how. Sorry if you feel I was exaggerating the number of eggs so far - it was meant as a rough approximation to illustrate a point, not an exact figure.

• Just some quick thoughts from myself.

Some of us have alot more time to post on here than others but that is not to say that those who post less dont deserve an award.

So first I think it will have to be judged on quality rather than quantity of posts. For example if someone brings to everyones attention an interesting article that is not widely publicised.

I wouldnt feel in anyway cheated about my award as things sometimes have to be rejigged to accomodate a website forum that is becoming alot more popular.

I do like the idea of a bronze, silver, gold award and maybe even a colour banded system that eventually reaches the bronze, silver and gold. I think to earn the top award it would be something special and should happen rarely. That way everyone can have something to aim for.

For example on the good egg avatar this could be altered to show the number of eggs people have gained over time. So a red egg to start (which you recieve your cert and badge), from then on if you win the next months award you recieve a orange egg on your avatar, green egg, blue egg, and so on. 

Thanks

Craig

• I agree the system needs changing now we have many more members, and the criteria for awards needs an overhaul.

I also like the idea of a bronze, silver and gold award, culminating in a Golden Egg. The final gold award being given only to outstanding participants as and when there is such a person. And ONLY if there is such a person. The bronze and silver awards also should be given as and when deserved, and not automatically every month. And maybe to more than one person at a time.

Quality of participation must over-ride quantity every time. Anyone can post prolifically if most of what they say is rubbish! We are a mixed bunch on the forum. There are many beginners, there are garden bird watchers who don't visit reserves, there are birders who go on field trips to reserves and other places of interest, and there are true experts. Each of these has a place on the forum, and each can contribute in a positive way, and each can be deserving of an award.

EDIT:   I should have made it clear that I believe any monthly award, whether perpetual or temporary, is a bad thing. There may be no deserving people within that month, or there may be 2 or 3 deserving people. I believe any award should be made as and when deserved, whether that be daily, weekly, monthly, annually or whatever.

• I for one would "vote" for the Golden Egg award. Whereby you accrue eggs as was said elsewhere in the thread. The number eggs you need to "level up" so to speak, can be set however.

I am presuming your first good egg would still earn you badge and certificate? I am still trying to get around to putting mine in a frame for the computer room. ;o)

Ant

• Susan H said:

I agree the system needs changing now we have many more members, and the criteria for awards needs an overhaul.

Quality of participation must over-ride quantity every time. Anyone can post prolifically if most of what they say is rubbish! We are a mixed bunch on the forum. There are many beginners, there are garden bird watchers who don't visit reserves, there are birders who go on field trips to reserves and other places of interest, and there are true experts. Each of these has a place on the forum, and each can contribute in a positive way, and each can be deserving of an award.

I  agree wholeheartedly Linda. I would hate to see people overlooked because they can't id a bird ,or get to visit reserves etc. This is  a wild-life site but some people have a lot more going on in their lives, which is equally or perhaps more important, and they come here to relax and enjoy the participation of something special.I would also not like to see people receiving rewards for prolific posting but can't see the mods allowing that to happen as the content of a post is much more important to them than how many.

I am afraid i don't have too much time to spend on forums but when i do it is always fun to pop in here and i hope it stays like that :o)