Blue Tit Babies...

Hi Folk, just after a bit of advice...

Blue Tits have nested in a old bird box on our fence. Two Adult birds we think and they had been very active, both constantly in/out with grubs etc from early morning to late evening We can’t hear anything from inside, but now both the Adult birds Are constantly going in and out, sitting on the fence, flying off then coming back again, tweeting like mad, as tho they are ‘talking’ to them ?!? Would this be ‘normal’ behaviour ? I don’t want to lift the top of the box for fear of frightening them but am just wondering if something is wrong. Any advice welcome. Thanks. 

• Hello Julie, firstly DO NOT touch or interfere with the nest/box, it is an offence to do so, plus you would most probably risk the parents abandoning the nest and chicks. Secondly what is most likely happening is that the wee ones will be ready to fledge and the parents will be calling to them to encourage them to leave the nest. Keep watching and hopefully you will stee them in the surrounding trees and bushes soon.

• Hi. Thanks for the reply... Iv resisted temptation to look in the box...Activity & Vocal calls continued well into the evening yesterday and both birds continued to go in/out the box but I didn’t see if either bird settled in for the night !. This morning both adults have been very vocal again and have just popped in/out. I’m resigned now to just trying to keep an eye open for future activity. I’m going online today to purchase a new box with a camera in.. Any suggestions welcomed in regards what I should do with this one? Replace it to where the current one is ? Put in a different place, near or further away ? And also what to do with the current one ? Do I empty it for hopefully the next recipient or do the birds themselves re-use old nests etc etc ? X
  • Well done you on resisting temptation to go near the box. As far as the box that you have up goes, leave well alone until the back end of the year, when you would then empty and clean out all boxes. Normally before winter time so that they can be used as shelter for the birds to roost in. As far as the new box and camera and the placing of it and when to do so, I am unsure. There are folks on here who have boxes with cameras, so hopefully someone will come along and help you out.
  • I would suggest that you purchase your cambox & either hold until nesting over then put in the place of your successful site, then you can clean out original box & place elsewhere in garden ... or leave original box & site new cambox, not too near, in the hope it may attract birds immediately ... you may get overwintering roosting birds in both but remember that BT's are very fickle about where they nest, sometimes takes them several tryouts before they make their minds up ... I had one roosting all one winter in mine then watched it clean out all the poo, bring in lovely fresh bedding then change it's mind to go off & nest elsewhere!
  • Thank you both for your comments, and I’m not doing anything yet until later in the year, tho I’m sure something isn’t quite right with the baby that I’m assuming is still inside the box as the adults are still to & fro, sitting on the edge but not entering..Cry but I’ll wait till later when I can check & clean it out.. And as for my new box, I’ll have a think about where it’s going. Thank you for all your help.. I’m also getting some Binoculars too ! RoflThanks.x