Question for the IT Team.

Elliott, some while ago you stated that you would not alter the default display setting for pictures because it slowed down the site too much. As you know several of us have been editing the html / altering the default box so that pictures are displayed at a reasonable size for the viewers.

Can you please tell us whether this is an acceptable practice or are we slowing down the site performance?

If so, I for one will stop increasing the display size and possibly desist form posting pictures as the enlarging of them is a pain to viewers, though it would be interesting to know how many people actually enlarge the small display pictures and how it affects their enjoyment of the site - having to click to open and then click to close each picture.

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• If the default size was a little bigger then there would not be a need to go to all the trouble of inserting the size yourself so I insert mine at 1500x1000, its nice to look at a picture that's not crunched down to the default size, that's my view on it Bob.

Jim

My Pictures

• I've deliberately looked at your latest thread on my phone via 4g Bob and it has loaded perfectly, even scrolling down fast all the photos had loaded and I didn't have to wait for one.

My Flickr photos

• I'm still following my usual practice of hooking images in from their Flickr URL, which displays them full size even leaving the image size settings on here as default (so not an issue). It would be interesting to know if that impacts on site speed (don't think it should). Personally I find the worst for loading speed is the Homepage, with no images on it! It actually feels like there's some underpinning issue deep in the code somewhere - things get slower, then we get a crash, then it's OK again for a while. Memory leak anyone? It'd be interesting to review the performance test results & how they impact SLAs

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Whistling Joe said:
    I'm still following my usual practice of hooking images in from their Flickr URL, which displays them full size even leaving the image size settings on here as default (so not an issue). It would be interesting to know if that impacts on site speed (don't think it should). Personally I find the worst for loading speed is the Homepage, with no images on it! It actually feels like there's some underpinning issue deep in the code somewhere - things get slower, then we get a crash, then it's OK again for a while. Memory leak anyone? It'd be interesting to review the performance test results & how they impact SLAs

Maybe I post too many pictures but it would take forever to  insert all the links to Flickr. It's much easier to drag and drop all the files and then edit the html by pasting in the required display size.

To be honest we have actually been given what we have always wanted - a multi picture loader, though its a shame its of no benefit if you're not prepared to do the editing.

It would be nice to get a response as to what is actually preferred as I don't want to continue posting large display size if its a problem and if its not a problem, I don see why we cant have the default display change. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Bob, Quote" As you know several of us have been editing the html / altering the default box so that pictures are displayed at a reasonable size for the viewers"
    Not tried this yet but will give it a go.

Jim

My Pictures

• Have a new problem ... unable to use back arrows to select previous page???????

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• In reply to James:

James G said:
    Bob, Quote" As you know several of us have been editing the html / altering the default box so that pictures are displayed at a reasonable size for the viewers"
    Not tried this yet but will give it a go.

Just in case it helps :

drag and drop your pictures, which essentially then all appear as one long line, just wrapping around several rows.

separate each picture with a carriage return

then type in any text you want for each picture.

then click on the Tools button and select Source Code.

Because you have used Carriage Return between each picture, all of the dimensions are in the same column and can easily be replaced with whatever you prefer. 

Hope that helps

----------

Cheers,

Bob

• Thanks Bob, it will I'm sure might get a couple of pictures ti show just to test it out :)

Jim

My Pictures

• In reply to WendyBartter:

WendyBartter said:
    Have a new problem ... unable to use back arrows to select previous page???????

You might not Wendy we are on the first page so no arrows to click on.

Jim

My Pictures

• Just a comment (as was asked)
    from an arm chair Granny, who values and appreciates, everyone's input pictures.
    Purely then as a viewer of these threads .

IF enlarging Pics really does slow down the site.
    Then I would rather be able to see everyone's efforts, and choose to click to enlarge.

Whatever,happens, size is the concern, It is a PROBLEM. i.e

Either Poster has to enlarge OR
    Viewer as to enlarge.