A Plea to the IT Community about the latest Upgrade.

• Hi Bob, before I upgraded my device there were some threads that I did find to be unreasonably slow. These did seem to be the threads that had a large number of photos. I think I did comment on this in one of the threads concerned in 2018 but I wouldn't say I complained about it. Rather I took it as a sign that I needed to replace my laptop with a new one. I do therefore have some sympathy for Elliott's point in this regard. Ian

• In reply to Elliott B:

Elliott B said:
    The site is already slower than we would like it to be

I don't suppose completely ditching the smileys would take any weight off the site?  In my experience they intrude and slow down posting, and they're too small to be effective anyway. 

That's a personal view which I don't expect to outweigh the preferences of others.

Tiger's Osprey Info & World Bird Cams

• In reply to Ian S:

Ian S said:

Hi Bob, before I upgraded my device there were some threads that I did find to be unreasonably slow. These did seem to be the threads that had a large number of photos. I think I did comment on this in one of the threads concerned in 2018 but I wouldn't say I complained about it. Rather I took it as a sign that I needed to replace my laptop with a new one. I do therefore have some sympathy for Elliott's point in this regard. Ian

I have to be honest Ian but I have never had any problems viewing on my home pc or my iphone when out and about etc with 4G. The thing is a test for a week would give hard evidence rather than a guesstimate. 

IF the larger display size is causing the site to slow then we ought to be asked to stop doing it as it is slowing the site down but that would make the point of adding pictures rather futile.

Before Christmas we were promised an exciting upgrade in user experience and it still hasn't happened. It's one step forward and two step backwards. I don't know if you have noticed but today we have reverted to a Forum that shows how many replies there are to a Post but not the number of views. This had already been fixed once. 

----------

Cheers,

Bob

My Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bobs_retired_now/

• I have just built a tower AMD 8 core with 16gig memory 500gig SSD drive and its fast but my laptop opens the pages just as fast and I am using my mobile as a hotspot

Jim

My Pictures

• My notifications are not working again--arrrrgh! This thread and many others have ceased coming up as requested.

Kind regards, 

Ann

• I’ve had problems signing in, as for some reason when I sometimes get automatically signed out, it’s taken me ages to manage somehow to sign in. I don’t know what causes this problem, but since this new forum layout happened, I’ve had this problem of signing in, when somehow from time to time I automatically gets signed out.

Regards,

Ian.

• In reply to Gardenbirder:

I too get automatically signed out Ian, about every two or three weeks.

Jim

My Pictures

• And this has been going on for a long long time.

Jim

My Pictures

• Being signed out automatically was the same before the upgrade. Chrome stores my details so it's not an issue signing in again. I just have to remember to switch it to accept my email address.

Regards,Tony

My Flickr Photostream 

• TJ, What you describe happens to me, too, and fingers crossed, so far I've had no difficulty signing in although there could always be a first time for problems!

Kind regards, 

Ann