Community Updates - February 2019

Hello all,

Sorry for not updating anything recently on the Community - a lot of the team have been very busy with Big Garden Birdwatch.

However, our team of web developers have been busy making some improvements based on what you've been asking us. In this update we've been focusing on the layout of the forum posts. In the next 24 hours, you'll see the following changes:

• Pagination - We have now added pagination, which lets you skip forward or back either a page at a time, or to the beginning or end of a thread immediately.
  • Discussion order - Adding pagination has allowed us to reverse the thread order, which is the other big change many of you have been asking for, so the oldest posts appear first and the newest appear last. Without pagination we had switched this around this to make it easier to see the latest posts but have now switched it back which should make it easier to follow the flow of a thread. 

There are also some smaller changes to the layout of the posts themselves and the reply function.

• Quoting - The biggest of these changes is probably how quoting works; the drag-to-quote feature has been replaced with a simpler system, similar to how it used to be.

If you want to quote on a previous post, then:

• Click on the ‘Reply’ button beneath that post which opens the reply box
  • Then click on the ‘Use rich formatting’ link which will take you to a new page with all the advanced layout options
  • Beneath the original post is a link to ‘Quote’. Click this and the quoted post appears in the text box for you

Many thanks for your ongoing feedback - we are working through all the great ideas for improving your Community experience as quickly as we can.

Elliott.

p.s. I also know there are a few concerns with the current rate of Moderation within the Community - this is being looked at and I hope to be able to update you further in the coming days.

• Unknown said:

Shambles is what I'd call this Forum. P45's spring to mind. I don't have videos on Flickr but I've noticed it's been getting a bit cranky.

I've not heard of Oath. I thought it was SmugMug that took over from Yahoo.They are Smug and we're the Mugs.

TJ, you're right, I got it wrong, it was AOL (USA) that is now part of Oath.

AOL UK was bought by TalkTalk.

• Unknown said:
    So I see. I thought it was behaving oddly Seems it's not just the RSPB that can mess up.

I think generally software is a big mess today, there's too much individuality and less harmonisation in many prog/websites, and mobile devices are a classic example, where you have to have the app before you can access the site/data or whatever.

30 years of the WWW.....

• Yes Mike, I totally agree. Even Sir Tim Berners-Lee, the founder of the WWW is dismayed and has said "Global action is required to tackle the web's downward plunge to a dysfunctional future"
  • Unknown said:

"Elliott.

p.s. I also know there are a few concerns with the current rate of Moderation within the Community - this is being looked at and I hope to be able to update you further in the coming days."

@ Elliott, this community is now becoming so difficult to follow, with all the Spam, several Members have said they would Moderate and Alan has even filled in the Volunteer form to that effect.

PLEASE can you ( Elliott) do something to assist.Thank you.

• Elliott replied in Spam thread.....Thank you Elliott